Current role – Principal Scientist – AZ Open Innovation, Cambridge UK (2015 onwards)
My role is to manage the overall portfolio. This involves finding and reviewing potential new targets, progressing to a research agreement and then project managing the collaboration to its end point which is usually either the first chemical lead series or if it is a phenotypic screen to identify novel targets. Here my previous academic experience is critical in understanding the difficulties of obtaining grant funding as is my pharma experience in progressing early translational projects. The eventual aim here is to either bring projects into AZ or to spin them out with VC funding. In the course of these collaborations I have set up not only collaborations with individual universities but also with academic drug discovery units such as LifeArc (UK), LDC (Germany), Kaertor Foundation (Spain) and CDRD (Canada). These are particularly interesting vehicles for project progression as they have translational funding already set aside and can move more quickly than the grant funding route.
Last 10 publications:
2. Hendrikse ER, Liew LP, Bower RL, Bonnet M, Jamaluddin MA, Prodan N, Richards KD, Walker CS, Pairaudeau G, Smith DM, Rujan RM, Sudra R, Reynolds CA, Booe JM, Pioszak AA, Flanagan JU, Hay MP, Hay DL. Identification of Small-Molecule Positive Modulators of Calcitonin-like Receptor-Based Receptors. ACS Pharmacol Transl Sci. 2020 Mar 12;3(2):305-320. doi: 10.1021/acsptsci.9b00108. eCollection 2020 Apr 10
3. Brito H, Marques V, Afonso MB, Brown DG, Börjesson U, Selmi N, Smith DM, Roberts IO, Fitzek M, Aniceto N, Guedes RC, Moreira R, Rodrigues CMP. Phenotypic high-throughput screening platform identifies novel chemotypes for necroptosis inhibition. Cell Death Discov. 2020 Feb 11;6:6. doi: 10.1038/s41420-020-0240-0. eCollection 2020.
4. Pollard AE, Martins L, Muckett PJ, Khadayate S, Bornot A, Clausen M, Admyre T, Bjursell M, Fiadeiro R, Wilson L, Whilding C, Kotiadis VN, Duchen MR, Sutton D, Penfold L, Sardini A, Bohlooly-Y M, Smith DM, Read JA, Snowden MA, Woods A, Carling D. AMPK activation protects against diet induced obesity through Ucp1-independent thermogenesis in subcutaneous white adipose tissue.
5. Eyre HJ, Speight T, Glazier JD, Smith DM, Ashton N.
6. Kishore M, Cheung KCP, Fu H, Bonacina F, Wang G, Coe D, Ward EJ, Colamatteo A, Jangani M, Baragetti A, Matarese G, Smith DM, Haas R, Mauro C, Wraith DC, Okkenhaug K, Catapano AL, De Rosa V, Norata GD, Marelli-Berg FM.
7. Martinez-Sanchez A, Nguyen-Tu MS, Cebola I, Yavari A, Marchetti P, Piemonti L, de Koning E, Shapiro AMJ, Johnson P, Sakamoto K, Smith DM, Leclerc I, Ashrafian H, Ferrer J, Rutter GA.
8. Moodaley R, Smith DM, Tough IR, Schindler M, Cox HM.
10. Kristinsson H, Sargsyan E, Manell H, Smith DM, Göpel SO, Bergsten P. Basal hypersecretion of glucagon and insulin from palmitate-exposed human islets depends on FFAR1 but not decreased somatostatin secretion. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 5;7(1):4657. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-04730-5