- This event has passed.
Postdoc Masterclass: “Peptides as drugs and tools to study biological systems”
4th March 2015 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pmFree
The Masterclass is a series of lecture/discussion forum presented by postdocs that provides unique opportunities for researchers/students in the biological sciences to:
• Share and discuss current hot topics in research fields.
• Present and discuss new cutting edge techniques, skills and tools being used in laboratories.
• Get together and discuss possible collaborations between and across laboratories.
• Learn about less familiar subject areas.
• Network and make friends across laboratories and departments.
• Promote university facilities and resources.
• With free pizza, beer, and wine
All (students, P.I.s, technicians etc.) are welcome!
Peptides as drugs and tools to study biological systems
Peptides can be very useful as drugs or tools due to their high potency and selectivity. In recent years, several factors have significantly increased the interest in the field and the approvals of peptide-based drugs. We will discuss the utility of peptides as drugs and tools for poorly tractable therapeutic targets. As an example we will describe how a peptide was able to block the signalling and behaviour induced by cocaine in mice.
Emma Cahill (Dept Psychology) & Albert Isidro-Llobet (GSK).
Wednesday 04 March 2015, 18:30–20:00